8 Ways to Mitigate the Effects of the Low-Carb Flu
Low-carb flu can include any one or a combination of the following:
- You feel fuzzy and foggy, like your brain just isn’t working right.
- You wake up or can’t go to sleep because of persistent headaches.
- You’re exhausted, cranky, and irritable for seemingly no reason.
- You feel empty, lost, depressed even.
- Going to the gym feels like an insurmountable challenge. If you do make it, your performance is hampered.
- You feel ravenously hungry, even after consciously eating more than enough of the good stuff.
- You experiences non-stop cravings for anything with carbs: fruit, soda, bagels, pasta, pizza, sandwiches, mashed potatoes, candy, chocolate.The experience of any of the above can range from mild to strong to unbearable. At some point, you know the magic is going to kick in and you’ll start feeling like a human again, but the transition period can be rough. You might begin to doubt if you can endure it from a pure “is it worth it?” perspective. You worry that your responsibilities will fall to the wayside, you’ve got a job and a million things going on. This was supposed to be a lifestyle evolution with the intention of elevating your experience life, and this lifestyle is already demanding too much.These can be destructive thoughts, and there’s no reason to endure any of them beyond the point of ‘‘mildly uncomfortable.’ Change is hard, and we know that, but it shouldn’t be painful.